On the church feast of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary, the entrance, icons and interior decoration of churches are always decorated with fragrant flowering thyme. Therefore, the herb is called the Bogorodskoy grass. And in village churches, a fragrant plant is used instead of an expensive fragrant incense. The second name for thyme is incense, derived from "incense" (incense for fumigation).
Thyme has long been successfully used by herbalists to improve people's health. In folk medicine, it is considered a beneficial remedy for many ailments, which also has a positive effect on the general condition of the entire body.
The healing properties of thyme
- Antiseptic. Thyme is good for treating and preventing inflammation.
- Expectorant. Thyme is used in the fight against whooping cough, severe cough and bronchitis due to its anti-inflammatory effect. Thyme extract is beneficial for asthma.
- For the healing of ulcers and wounds, an infusion based on pharmaceutical herbs will help. Traditional medicine recommends it for tonsillitis and stomatitis. Infusion is inhaled into the nasopharynx. Sores and wounds on the skin are washed with a fresh decoction of thyme. Also, decoctions (with regular rinsing) eliminate unpleasant odor from the mouth.
- If the patient has neuritis or sciatica, and there is no salvation from the pain, the infusion of thyme will again help, which will also relieve the pain syndrome.
- For those who eat poorly, thyme is indicated for improving appetite and stimulating the digestive tract.
- Thyme is used in the form of lotions, applied as a compress, it is brewed in medicinal baths. So, in the treatment of arthrosis, a lotion of steamed thyme herb is applied to the sore joint. Lotions eliminate pain, as well as swelling resulting from bee stings.
- The drug helps to calm down quickly and promotes good sleep. when taken orally in the form of a tincture or syrup, it stabilizes the functioning of the entire nervous system and eliminates insomnia. If you use thyme for a long time, then it helps to cope even with depression.
- The herb is rich in zinc and other "male" trace elements, similar to the work of natural testosterone. The remedy is recommended for men in the treatment of impotence, as well as for signs of prostatitis.
- If you use thyme to cure alcoholism, then, in addition to a persistent aversion to alcohol, it will also help cleanse the liver and remove toxins and toxins from the blood (formed as a result of the breakdown of alcohol).
- Fragrant sweet tea from Bogorodskaya grass strengthens the immune system, invigorates, improves the general condition of the body. It is great for energizing.
Despite the positive properties of the herb, it is rich in essential oils, acids and tannins, there are contraindications that should be considered before taking the herbal preparation from the pharmacy on your own.
- Medicinal collection is contraindicated, including in the form of a seasoning, during pregnancy.
- Extreme caution should be applied to the dosage of the herb for people who have problems with the alimentary tract and stomach (for example, with gastritis).
- Thyme is prohibited if the liver and kidneys are sick, since the herb is rich in thymol, and it inhibits liver function.
- If thyme is used uncontrollably for a long time for self-medication, hypofunction of the thyroid gland may occur.
- Overdose will lead to allergies, as well as multiple skin rashes.
- Scientific studies have shown that the herb is categorically contraindicated in patients with atherosclerosis of the cerebral vessels, as well as in cardiosclerosis. If a patient is diagnosed with decompensation of heart function, thyme is also contraindicated for him.
It is important to monitor the dosage as well. Of course, the gifts of traditional medicine are unique in their healing properties and are able to heal.However, to use them, you should have sufficient knowledge and experience or not deviate from the instructions. If the dosage is incorrect and the conditions for collection and storage are not followed, the treatment can be harmful and lead to poisoning. The first signs are vomiting, nausea, insomnia and weakness.
How the herb is used in everyday life
In residential or hospital premises, essential oil from thyme disinfects the air well, therefore it is poured into aroma lamps and air humidifiers (with a fragrance function). The plant, thanks to its rich aroma, is also used in the production of perfumes.
In cooking, the seasoning is prized for its spicy, rich, bitter taste and pleasant aroma. A pinch of thyme will enhance the taste of fish and lamb. The herb can be added when stewing the liver, preparing meat pâté, along with salt when frying potatoes. Thyme can be sprinkled with boiled eggs, beans, or pea porridge / soup. The spice can be a flavor enhancer for homemade cheese.
In salting, thyme, in addition to its taste, also disinfects products for their long-term storage. Spice is added when preparing pickles and in recipes when smoking.
On the basis of thyme, cosmetologists make creams and ointments with a wound-healing effect from cracks, wounds and insect bites. Thyme remedies are used for hair loss and acne.