There is a debate among herbalists and traditional medicine advocates whether thyme and thyme are different names for the same herb. Herbal science says they are not the same plant. They are two different species that are closest relatives. It is worth taking a closer look at the plants and you can find significant differences: the stem is of different thickness, the crown is of different shape, the root system and inflorescences also differ. And in terms of medicinal properties, thyme has a slightly different spectrum of effects.
Thyme looks like a shrub with fragrant foliage. Prefers a temperate subtropical climate, especially common in Asia, Africa and Europe. Also, thyme has taken root in Russian gardens, where it is mistakenly called thyme for similar properties.
Herb in cooking is used both fresh and dried as a seasoning in cooking. Doctors prescribe it as a medicine. And it is also planted on personal plots to create landscape design.
Thyme has a strong spicy-fragrant aroma and slightly bitter, but pleasant taste. In a dried form, the spice gives the dish or an infusion of it an essential oil, which concentrates all the benefits of the herb.
What is found in thyme
- organic acids
The healing properties of thyme
- Due to its rich healing composition, the herb can be used for pain relief and as an antiseptic. And also it is able to relieve inflammation and eliminate spasms.
- If bronchitis or cough has begun, thyme will help in this case too, because has expectorant properties. Thyme is often prescribed in infusions for bronchitis.
- It is effective against rheumatic manifestations in the joints and muscles.
- His lotions help after bruises, as well as for skin rashes (non-infectious).
- Thyme essential oil has a beneficial effect on the state of the body with chlorosis, tuberculosis and whooping cough. And also copes with the symptoms of asthenia.
- Thyme brewed in boiling water invigorates and activates the work of organs, increases efficiency and fights fatigue. Therefore, thyme is added to herbal preparations for chronic fatigue.
- Thyme is recommended for men in order to prevent prostatitis, as well as to improve potency. After all, it is a natural stimulant with a good tonic effect.
- Simultaneously with the stimulating effect of thyme, it also has a calming effect, therefore it is indicated for neurasthenics and people under stress. That is why it is used to eliminate migraines, insomnia and depression.
- If the stomach boils, bloating and gas formation interferes, and fermentation in the intestines is also noticed, then it is enough to drink a glass of brewed thyme, and it stimulates digestion, especially after eating fatty foods.
- Herbalists recommend giving a decoction of the herb to people with the disease of alcoholism, even without the knowledge of the patient. You need to take the infusion for at least a week. As a result, a drunken person develops nausea and may start to vomit. After two weeks of treatment, a persistent aversion to alcohol appears.
- Thyme relieves swelling of any etymology well, removing excess fluid from the body in a natural way.
- Juice squeezed from fresh herbs can also be used for all of the above diseases. The juice is especially good for rinsing the upper respiratory tract, for colds, like drops from a cold. The juice is able to overcome dysbiosis and colitis. It is given to women for menstrual cramps.
- Surprisingly, thyme juice is considered an alternative antibiotic treatment that is used to treat stomatitis, gingivitis and relieve inflammation of the tonsils.
If you abuse medicinal herbs, you can harm yourself.Thyme tones well, but with frequent use at night, the broth can provoke insomnia and even horror in a dream.
Thyme should be taken under the supervision of a doctor for people with Parkinson's disease. Products and hypertensive patients should not be abused.
Thyme is so potent (as a topical antibiotic, for example) that it is imperative to consult a doctor before using it in combination with a number of medications.
It is also bad that thyme absorbs toxic substances from the environment and accumulates them in itself. Thus, it is strictly forbidden to collect grass near roads, near cities and industrial areas. The headline should be done only in an ecologically clean area.
Thyme is contraindicated in patients suffering from:
- stomach diseases associated with acidity.
Temporarily banned thyme and for pregnant women. If a healthy person consumes herb or thyme seed for a long time in any form, then the product can provoke hypothyroidism. And in case of an overdose - and vomiting.