A lot has been said about the need to get enough sleep and I don't want to repeat myself. Numerous studies have proven that reducing the duration of sleep can greatly harm your morale and physical condition.
It has been proven that regular lack of sleep or simply poor quality sleep for several days contributes to an increase in blood sugar levels, and as a result to overeating.
The fact that lack of sleep has a detrimental effect on the physical condition is understandable without any experiments: a state of weakness appears, a headache appears, the reaction decreases, a kind of lethargy appears, and so on. But how does sleep deprivation affect the psychological side of our lives?
In some experiments, where subjects were asked to reduce their sleep time by just one hour, the following changes were noticed:
- a feeling of anxiety, melancholy appeared or increased, stress resistance decreased;
- in especially severe cases, psychoses developed and hallucinations appeared;
- memory problems. In a dream, the brain processes and classifies all the information received during the day, putting it into short-term memory, and then into memories. In a person suffering from regular lack of sleep, this process is disrupted, in some cases memory lapses develop;
- depressed state. With regular sleep deprivation, the nervous system is depleted, so a person who does not get enough sleep is often rude, irritable or aggressive. Lack of sleep is especially harmful in adolescence, the psyche at this age is extremely vulnerable and unstable. With regular lack of sleep or sleepless nights, certain changes occur in the brain of adolescents, subsequently, the mood becomes more pessimistic, depressive, and suicidal thoughts become more frequent. It has been proven that mental disorders are 4 times more common in people suffering from chronic sleep deprivation;
- decreased sex drive. Due to regular lack of sleep, energy levels decrease, overexertion increases, and in the end all this leads to a decrease in testosterone levels in the blood, and then to a decrease in sex drive.