Betamethasone belongs to the group of adrenal cortex hormones. The drug has a pronounced anti-inflammatory, anti-allergic effects. The immunosuppressive effect of the agent is noted, which suppresses the excessive activity of the body's defenses in various pathological conditions.
Composition and form of release
Since Betamethasone has a significant effect on the body, self-medication is unacceptable.
The medicine is presented in the form:
- tablets containing the active ingredient (betamethasone) 0, 0005 g each;
- solution in ampoules of 1 ml with a concentration of 0, 0053 g of metamethasone dintarium phosphate;
- ointment containing 0, 64 mg of betamethasone dipropionate.
The pharmacy also presents betamethasone in the form of suspensions, lotions, sprays, drops under the names:
- Belosalik and so on.
Betamethasone is part of complex drugs that additionally contain clotrimazole, gentamicin and other components.
Hormonal agents are distinguished by the speed and intensity of the therapeutic effect, providing a pronounced anti-inflammatory effect. However, the disadvantage of Betamethasone is the short duration of the therapeutic result and the systemic effect on the body.
According to the instructions for use, it is advisable to use the medicine for:
- rheumatoid, gouty arthritis, systemic lupus erythematosus;
- manifestations of allergies (Quincke's edema, asthma, rhinitis and others);
- inflammatory pathologies of the eyes;
- tumor lesions of the lymph nodes;
- polyps of the nose;
- pathologies of the lungs (emphysema, fibrosis);
- nephrotic syndrome.
A course of treatment
The dosage, mode of administration, dosage form (injections, ointment, tablets) are prescribed by the doctor, based on the severity of symptoms, the severity of the pathology, the patient's condition.
The rate of the drug for adults is 0.25-8 mg / day, for children - 0.017-0.25 mg / kg / day.
Therapy is usually long-term, it is stopped gradually. Injections are made intramuscularly or intravenously, diluting the active substance with a glucose solution or saline. The daily dose is 1-2 ml, in difficult situations it may be increased.
The ointment is applied externally, distributing the composition over the affected area up to 3 times a day. The course should not exceed 4 weeks. If no therapeutic result is observed, treatment is discontinued.
The development of negative consequences from Betamethasone therapy is possible:
- an increase in blood pressure;
- ulcerative lesions of the digestive tract;
- an increase in blood sugar;
- suppression of the function of the adrenal cortex;
- cycle disorders in women.
The drug is prohibited to use when:
- 3 degrees of circulatory failure;
- active tuberculosis;
- stomach and duodenal ulcer;
Analogs and prices
Now in the pharmacy network there is a large selection of betamethasone products:
- Betaspan-Depot and others.
The cost of Betamethasone depends on the dosage form. The average price of the ointment is 120 rubles, the suspension in ampoules of 1 ml is 220 rubles.