Sumatriptan is intended to relieve migraine attacks. It has a quick therapeutic effect, which occurs half an hour after taking the pill. However, it is necessary to observe the dose and regimen of the drug in order to avoid the development of side effects.
Composition and form of release
The drug is presented in the pharmacy in the form of tablets, the active component of which is sumatriptan succinate. Its content in 1 tablet is 70 mg (corresponding to 50 mg of sumatriptan) or 140 mg (100 mg of sumatriptan).
The anti-migraine effect of Sumatriptan is due to vasoconstriction of the carotid arterial bed and inhibition of the activity of the receptors of the endings of the afferent fibers of the trigeminal nerve in the dura mater of the brain. As a result, the mechanism of the formation of an attack, based on the expansion of the vessels of the meninges or their edema, is suppressed. The drug effectively eliminates the symptoms that accompany migraines: photophobia, nausea, and so on.
Indications and rules of use
The only indication for prescribing the drug, according to the instructions, is migraine with or without aura.
Sumatriptan is recommended to be taken at an early stage of the formation of an attack, but the effectiveness remains in other, later stages.
For relief of migraine manifestations, a dose of sumatripatna 50 mg is prescribed once a day. In the absence of a therapeutic result, it is possible to use 100 mg next time, but after using the first dose, it cannot be increased during the current attack.
It is allowed to take the second dose if, after the first, the symptoms disappeared for some time, but then resumed. In this case, the break between them should be at least 2 hours, the maximum rate is 300 mg / day.
The negative effects of drug treatment are usually transient and temporary.
- sensations of heat, pressure, compression in various parts of the body, paresthesia, tremors, convulsions;
- weakness, dizziness;
- arrhythmia, increase or decrease in blood pressure, heart attack, angina pectoris and other cardiovascular dysfunctions;
- intolerance reactions;
- shortness of breath, vision dysfunction.
Before using the drug, you must consult a doctor to exclude possible contraindications.
Sumatriptan is prohibited to use when:
- Ischemic heart disease;
- hemiplegic, ophthalmoplegic, basilar migraine;
- postinfarction cardiosclerosis;
- stroke, transient ischemic attack;
- co-administration with MAO inhibitors (only 2 weeks after the end of therapy with the latter), ergotamine;
- severe renal and hepatic dysfunction;
- under the age of 18 and after 65;
- hypersensitivity to the constituents of the drug.
The drug is not used to relieve seizures in pregnant women, it is undesirable to take it during breastfeeding.
Analogs and prices
The analogs of the drug include:
The average cost of Sumatriptan is 170 rubles for a pack of 2 tablets with a dosage of 100 mg, 100 rubles for a pack of 2 tablets with a dosage of 50 mg.