The antimicrobial drug Levomycetin is used in the treatment of a wide range of pathologies, the causative agents of which are sensitive to the active substance of the drug. The advantage of the product lies in its pronounced therapeutic effect at a low cost.
Composition and form of release
Chloramphenicol acts as an active component of the drug. The drug is presented in the form of tablets with a dosage of 250, 500 mg or in the form of a powder for the manufacture of a solution for injection with a substance content of 500 or 100 mg per 1 bottle.
A pronounced antimicrobial effect of the agent against gram-positive or gram-negative pathogenic microflora was noted. Has a pronounced bacteriostatic effect, in high doses - bactericidal against certain strains of microorganisms.
Instructions for using the product highlight the indications for the appointment of the product:
- respiratory pathology: pneumonia, lung abscess;
- typhus, paratyphoid fever, salmonellosis, including those accompanied by disorders of the digestive tract (diarrhea, vomiting, dyspepsia, and so on), peritonitis;
It is advisable to use the tool in the absence of a therapeutic result or intolerance to other antimicrobial drugs.
A course of treatment
Levomycetin tablets are indicated for oral use 30 minutes before meals or one hour after. The dose and regimen of administration is determined by the doctor, based on the severity of the pathology and the patient's well-being. The norm for adults is 250-500 mg 3-4 times a day. In severe forms of pathology, the dose is increased to 1000 mg 3-4 times a day. In this case, the patient must be in the hospital. The maximum rate is 4000 mg / day.
A child 3-8 years old is shown 125 mg 3-4 times a day, 8-16 years old - 250 mg 3-4 times a day.
The duration of the treatment course is 7-14 days.
The negative consequences of drug therapy include:
- dyspepsia, stool disorders, intestinal microflora, enterocolitis;
- pseudomembranous colitis - with prolonged use;
- hepatotoxic effect - with the use of high dosages;
- disorders of hematopoiesis;
- dysfunction of the heart and blood vessels (changes in blood pressure, collapse);
- headache, hallucinations, dizziness, encephalopathy, vision and hearing dysfunctions;
- reactions of intolerance.
Reception of Levomycetin is prohibited when:
- intolerance to the constituents of the drug;
- violations of hematopoiesis;
- severe pathologies of the liver and kidneys;
- skin lesions with fungus, dermatitis;
The drug is not used for the prevention of postoperative complications in children under 3 years of age, pregnant women and during lactation.
Analogs and prices
Analogues of Levomycetin include:
- Clobinecol and so on.
Levomycetin is notable for its low price, which is about 20 rubles for a package consisting of 10 tablets of 250 mg each, 40-100 rubles for a package of 10 tablets with a dosage of 500 mg. You can buy the medicine at the pharmacy with a doctor's prescription.